I’ve been getting a lot of questions around VMware Horizon View 5.2 and some of the new features. Unfortunately it’s been a while since I’ve updated my home View Environment so I figured I would take the opportunity to update the lab and get some hands on with some of the new features. For those of you that are not familiar with the new stuff, check out Andre Leibovici’s overview here: http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=4627
First things first, my plan of attack looks like this:
I’ve decided to update my environment in this order:
- Connection Broker
- Connection Broker Feature Pack
- Agent + Feature Pack
- Scream at my home lab, and VMware about implementing and troubleshooting stupid Certificates
- Create Net-New Pool (no reason other then I wanted to)
So with that said, let’s get started with updating VMware View 5.0 to VMware Horizon View 5.2
The first step in the View 5.2 Upgrade process is to get VMware View Connection Server up to 5.2. First things first, lets see what version we are currently at. To do that RDP into your Connection Server – go to Start – Control Panel – Programs and Features – and scroll down until you see VMware View Connection Server and in this case I’m running 18.104.22.1684644.
Go to Downloads.VMware.Com – Horizon View Suite – VMware Horizon View 5.2 area and then scroll down to VMware-ViewConnectionServer-x86_64-5.2xxxxxx. Download that to your current VMware View Connection Server’s desktop.
1. Go to the folder you downloaded the install file and double click on the install icon.
2. The first thing you should see if the Connection Server 5.2 splash screen.
3. Click NEXT to get the install process going.
4. Click the “I accept the terms” radio button (or not) and then click NEXT.
5. If everything looks good, you will see the “ready to install the program” window – click INSTALL
6. and away it goes !
7. If everything looks great, then click on the Installer Completed window and then click FINISH.
My recommendation is to reboot the Connection Server and then go into Start-Control-Panel-Programs and Features to verify that it’s been updated:
Next thing we want to do, and especially since we want to play with some of the cool new Horizon stuff is to install the Feature pack. That’s the next blog post.